top of page

How to make 2018 your BEST cheer season yet!

A new year means new years resolutions, but by the end of January most of those have already been broken. As we start a new cheer season, there is no better time than now to set goals in motion for the coming year and make sure this time, you follow through!

Setting goals and making them happen

Everyone has goals right?

But how many of us actually have them written down? Some studies say it's as little as 3%. But those 3% are far more likely to be successful in reaching their goals than the other 97% who just have a rough idea of where they're headed.

Right now grab a piece of paper, your diary or open the notes app on your phone. Write down one thing you want to achieve this year (it doesn't have to be cheer related). Now write down something you want in the next 5 years - aim high for this one!

Of course, writing down our goals isn't automatically going to make them happen. Deciding you want something and you're willing to work for it is a great way to push yourself in the right direction. Once we write down our goals they move from simply being an idea to something more material that we can actually see, allowing us to focus on them. Having your goal somewhere visible where you can remind yourself of it frequently is even better - put it on your desk or set is as your lock screen.

The Secret Weapon

The next step is the one we usually skip. This is the reason why, despite our good intentions, we fail to reach our goals. The key is planning the HOW. What things are you going to do to reach your goal? Break it down into small steps and come up with an plan to get there. Making an actionable plan to reach your goal will not only help you achieve it - it will give you more to focus on than just whether or not you have gotten there. If you're ever having trouble reaching your goal you can look back at your plan and see if you might have skipped some steps along the way or if you need to focus more on certain aspects of the plan. It can also be a great way to track your progress along the way!

For Example:

"I want to be fitter"


"I'm going to go to the gym 3 times per week and work on my strength and I'm going to go for a 30 minute run once per week."


If you don't see yourself getting fitter, you can look back - did you stick to your plan? If you did, maybe what you're doing at the gym isn't working. Breaking your plan down into what you're going to do each time you go to the gym and making it even more specific could help to over come this. It's also possible that you are on track to your goal but you just can't see it! As they say, we are our own harshest critic. Having a specific plan will let you look back to find your improvements, it's likely you'll find that you're running further in the 30 minutes or you're lifting more weight at the gym. It is also great to focus less on the long term achievement which will take longer to come to fruition and turn toward following your plan, congratulating yourself for each little step up the mountain.

Now I challenge you to write down your goal and come up with a plan to achieve it! If you need help, shoot me an email and I'd be happy to help or you can come join our Facebook group:

Allstar cheerleaders getting fierce and smashing goals!

If you want to stay updated on content like this make sure you scroll down and sign up to our mailing list!



#goals #planning #goal #mindset

bottom of page